Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Day #72

I have posted some new pictures of my precious little nephews. As you can see by Kacyn's picture, he is no longer having any problems whatsoever taking his bottles! I can't wait to kiss those chubby little cheeks! Thank you, Grammy, for sharing the pics!

Jennifer is doing well in rehab. The therapists are impressed with how well she's progressing. She's still unable to really talk & is still being fed through a feeding tube, but is improving in other areas.

She smiles, laughs, giggles, & cries.

She comprehends everything that's said to her.

She can shake her head "no", but has difficulty with nodding "yes".

She can follow things with her eyes from side to side, but has difficulty following things moving up & down.

She has said the words "hi", "bye", & "hey" when prompted by the speech therapist, but cannot do so every time.

The speech therapist worked with her this morning. She told Jennifer she was going to ask her some questions & told Jennifer to squeeze her hand if the answer to the question was "yes". She asked her questions such as "Are you wearing red pajamas?" Jennifer was wearing red pajamas so she squeezed the therapist's hand. She asked Jennifer many questions. Jennifer got the answers right except when it came to the question of what month it is. Jennifer thought it was January 2009. She knows Christmas just passed so I guess that's why she was confused, but who wouldn't be confused after being in the hospital as long as she has!! The dr then asked Jennifer if her birthday was May 28. She got no response from Jennifer. She asked the same question several times, wording it a little differently each time, but always with the same date, May 28. Jennifer never responded. Finally mom told the therapist "Jennifer's birthday is May 29". The therapist then asked Jennifer if her birthday was May 29 & Jennifer squeezed her hand!

They've begun giving her a little food by mouth. She had some chocolate pudding yesterday & some applesauce today. After she ate her applesauce, the therapist asked her if she wanted more & said if she did to raise her hand. Jennifer raised her hand so she got more applesauce. The therapist also told Jennifer to chew the applesauce even though she didn't need to. I guess this is to help teach her to chew again. She did well with this task also. They also gave her a popsicle today.

Jennifer is being healed & things are looking up, but she still has a ways to go. Mom is concerned about one of Jennifer's hands. It's curled up & Jennifer can't use it. Please pray for this hand to begin working as well as the continued healing of her brain, broken bones, & the return of all her motor skills. And don't forget about little Kacyn! He still needs prayers for his head & brain.

Jennifer's miracle continues!! What a story she will have to tell!

Love,
Lynn

5 comments:

Sherry Palmer said...

Just wanted to let you know we are still reading even though the comments have slowed down. Thanks for the pictures!

Sherry Palmer said...

Oh yeah, and we're still praying.

College Mom said...

Hello. I just wanted to mention something that you may not be aware of. Even though I know God is going to heal her and she will return to work one day, Jennifer can get disability now very easily until she can return to work. The income would be very helpful at this time. I know it is very expensive for David to keep traveling back and forth. I am suggesting this because my husband went through a similar situation and no one told me he could draw disability. He had an accident and had a brain injury. I wished someone had told me. I sure could have used that money to support our family. The requirements to get disability is that the person is exspected to be off work for at least the following year or so from the time of injury. I know she will qualify.

I hope this is not offensive to your family but I am just saying it in love. Thanks for keeping us updated. I love the pictures too.

Kim D said...

Hello, I'm not much of a writer, I just wanted to let you know that the updates, stories, and progress have been great to read about, please keep them coming. I have been following them all along. A big thank you goes out to Lynn. I am continuing to pray for Jennifer in all areas and for the whole Dierking family. The boys are so cute. Thanks for sharing their pictures with us. Love you bunches

Donna Bales said...

I have never met jennifer and david but i do know them thru sherry palmer(my sister). Just wanted to let you know that i pray daily for jennifer and also david. My heart goes out to them!! I request prayer at my church often and also give praise reports. I know that God is faithful and he is the Healer!! I live in Arkansas but just know that all the way down here you are thought of and in my thoughts. Love in christ, donna bales