Monday, December 15, 2008

Day #58

It was 8 weeks ago this past Sat since the accident that turned our world upside down & changed our lives forever. It's difficult to believe it's only been 8 weeks! It seems like it's been so much longer!

I was in St. Louis this weekend. I could see the improvements in Jennifer. It is now obvious when she is looking at you. Before you couldn't really tell if she was looking at you or not. Her eyes were kind of glazed over & it was more like she was staring into space. Now her eyes are more clear & she moves her eyes deliberately. She was looking at me & I was telling her how I love her beautiful brown eyes & hair. I was also talking about how growing up she used to always want blue eyes & blonde hair like me. When I mentioned my blonde hair, her eyes moved from my eyes to my hair & followed the length of my hair & then back to my eyes.

She is doing very well with the capping of her trach. They are increasing each day how long they are leaving it capped because she is doing so well with it. Hopefully they'll be able to remove the trach soon.

She has begun being vocal. She isn't talking. It's more like a yell or a scream. It's good that she's making these sounds because it's her way of showing emotion. Unfortunately, it's a little upsetting to us because we don't know what she wants. We're not sure if she's in pain, frustrated, upset, agitated, or just wants us to leave her alone!

She is feeling pain now. It's difficult to see her in pain, but it's good that she's able to feel it. Up until a few days ago, she wasn't feeling pain. The drs would pinch her fingertips with plier-like things, trying to get a response. They were squeezing her fingers so tight with this that she had bruises under every fingernail. She wouldn't even flinch when they did this. She also wouldn't react at all when they would prick her finger or give her an injection. Friday she began flinching & making a face when her finger is pricked or when getting a shot.

She's showing more emotion all the time which is a good thing, but as I said earlier it's sometimes difficult to see when we know she's not happy. The dr had told mom to try to startle Jennifer occasionally to get a reaction from her. Mom slammed the window shades yesterday really loud. Jennifer was about asleep when mom did this. Jennifer jumped then started crying & making the sound along with it. It made both mom & I sad, but at the same time we were glad to get a reaction. Mom came home with me yesterday. She's staying home for a few days. When mom told her yesterday that we were leaving, Jennifer got upset & started crying out. It broke our hearts. David is staying at the hospital with Jennifer until mom gets back.

They are talking about sending Jennifer to a rehab center, possibly within the next few weeks. This is good because previously they had been talking about sending her to a nursing home because she wasn't mentally or physically ready for a rehab center. It is very encouraging now to hear them talking about rehab instead.

On the way home yesterday, mom & I stopped by Jennifer & David's house to see Josiah & Kacyn. Josiah is cuter than ever! I fed Kacyn his bottle! He did great with it! He drank virtually all of it. He left only enough to cover the bottom of the bottle. He now weighs 8 lbs 11 oz. He's such a precious little baby!

Prayers are needed for Kacyn's head. It's not growing. It measures the same circumference it did when he was born. They are unsure why at this time.

David's mom is staying at Jennifer & David's house, helping taking care of Josiah & Kacyn. Thank you, Grammy, for taking such good care of those precious little boys! David's dad is driving him back & forth to the hospital which is about an hour away from their house.

Please pray for Jennifer's progress to continue. Prayers are needed for her brain, lungs, broken bones, motor skills, entire body as well as strength for her to continue to fight & get through this. Please pray that she'll be able to talk when the trach is taken out. Pray for Kacyn's head/brain. Prayers for strength & comfort for David. Pray that this little family is reunited soon. What a wonderful day that will be!

Thank you for all the prayers & everything else that has been done for our family.

Love,
Lynn

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Sweet Lynn, As I read this tonite I wept, with you all and for you all, I have been following progress since the accident happened , I live in Vermont, and know Sherri from the christian woman's board.

Lynn you have been so faithful blogging, I know you do it for everyone, but I am glad you do it for you,, as part of your healing process and a gift for Jennifer and family for when they can read how you love them so very much.

You have been so strong, and my tears tonite are for you, I wish I could wrap my arms around you and hold you, this has been a long journey, and I know you have walked every step, I love you very much, and am still praying..God Bless you Lynn, you have blessed me thru this blog..warm loving hugs from Vermont...Mona